1. Indian Railway is constructing the highest rail bridge over Chenab, in J&K.
2. Loco-pilots (train drivers) are paid more than an average software engineer
3. Indian Railways has a mascot – Bholu, the Guard Elephant
4. No loco-pilot has abandoned the train even in the face of certain death
5. The Indian Railways website gets close to 12 Lakh hits per minute
6. The slowest train goes uphill at the speed of 10 kilometers per hour.
7. The station with the longest name is Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta.
8. The station with the smallest name is called ‘IB ’: It’s in Odisha.
9. The trains got toilets after Indian Railways completed about 50 years!
10. Back in the old days, elephants were used to position the cartridges
11. Its 161 years old! (16th April, 1853. That’s a long time ago.)
12. Most unreliable train in Indian Railways is Guwahati-Trivandrum Express
13. If the tracks of Indian railways were to be laid out, they would circle the earth almost 1.5 times.
14. The longest running train covers a distance of 4273 km between Dibrugarh and Kanyakumari: It’s called the Vivek Express
15. The shortest distance covered between two successive stations is 3 kilometers
16. Lucknow is the busiest junction in the nation: 64 trains come in and move out, every day
17. A massively successful organization – running 11,000 trains in a day is no joke!